Sunday, February 26, 2006

What are we so afraid of?

So.. I apologize ahead of time if this blog entry isn't clear. My head is in a fog right now and I feel like the world is moving around our house but we don't have any lights on and I am not really looking at the screen because it is giving me a headache (head-cold). All of this said.. I wanted to tell a short story and then ask the above question.

It was a normal Friday afternoon at American Family. Lots of people coming to drop off a payment. Lots of people calling to straighten something out before the weekend. Several people with accidents because of the early morning ice. I was the only person working at our office. The phone rang and I answered hoping it would be a simple question so I could finish up a couple of projects. I can't remember his name now so we will call him Ted.
Molly"American Family Insurance, this is Molly"
Ted"Hello, may I speak with the advertising manager?"
M"Well, my agent is out of the office but I can probably help you with that. Who am I speaking with?"
T"Sure. That would be great. I am calling from Portland Gay Yellow Pages and wanted to talk to you about our publication."
M"Oh? I actually didn't know there was such a thing. Can you tell me the premise of what you do?"
T"I would be happy to. We have been doing this for about 10 years and now publish x amount of books and carry x amount of local businesses. The gay community really appreciates knowing where they can do business and be treated the best. You see gays are really very loyal customers and are also very well networked. In many cases they will be your best customers!"
M"Well, I will pass this info on to my boss but I will tell you that we don't have any extra advertising dollars to spend so it is very unlikely that we would be purchasing space at this time. Do you have a website or phone number if we want to contact you?"
T"I appreciate the interest, our website is www.pdxgayyellowpages.com. Thank you for your time, the gay community appreciates it."
M"Thank you, have a great day."

Now.. that may seem like a pretty boring conversation to you. The sparks of thought that rushed on me were sort of overwhelming. I know there are gay people, I even know a few through work. I knew there were gay activists and gay rights and all that. But I had never thought about the thousands of people that are the "gay community". Do they feel so out-ed that they have to have their own yellowpages? Why?

I went to the website just for curiousity sake and looked under "churches". I knew I would find certain types of "religious" groups claiming all sorts of acceptance and tolerance. I was surprised to see that there were a couple churches that I MIGHT have agreed with doctrine on. But instantly I was in doubt as to whether they were Biblically sound churches. And then I started wondering why my church isn't listed here?
Where am I going with all of this? The question: What are we so afraid of?

As Christians.. I mean the Bible believing ones.. we are called to love people. We have guidelines on how we are to live if we do believe in God, Jesus's work on the cross & all that Scripture claims. We are not to be judges of other people.. only reflections of Christ. He will judge all (including me) at the final judgment. So.. whether gay, transgender, bisexual, questioning, murderer, liar, thief, terrorist, illegal immigrant, egocentric, new-age worshipper, abortionist (the list could go on as long as the Star Wars Trilogy).. we are commanded to love them.

I am reminded of a ministry that I know of called xxxchurch (xxxchurch.com). Here are two pastors that are deeply involved in loving the people that produce, direct, advertise, act in and view pornography. They could not have demonstrated a more behind-the-scenes sinner being loved in a more dramatic way! Few people would go on camera or stand up in their church and tell others proudly that they really enjoy porn and think it is beneficial. But here are two pastors that decided that these people need to be loved and if it was ever going to happen they were going to have to just do it (thanks for the phrase Nike).

So.. back to the original topic.. what was it? Oh, right, love. We as the body of Christ have got to learn how to love those that may offend us. I mean, COME ON, don't you think that your sins (as fewor as descrete as they may be) offend Christ? Christ died for them at the same time he was dying for you/me. I don't know, in my current situation, how God is going to use what I am learning but I sure hope He shows me how to take it and run. There isn't anything scary about loving people! They don't typically bite :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

..I was going to leave a comment, but then I got afraid to...

;-)

thesticklergirl said...

You are so silly :)

Bex said...

Well said. It makes me sad that the one place people should experience true love and acceptance (the Body of Christ) is often the most condemning and shame-filled place a "sinner" can think of. We need to actually read the Bible and do what it says: Love God, Love People