So.. just after commenting on Justin's blog about how hard it is to go to work on Mondays.. and how I have to remember that God has a purpose in my being here (yes I am blogging while at work).. John walks in. (I have changed his name to protect his identity).
John is a 50 something phsychologist who is in the process of evaluating God. He has come and talked with me about God, Jesus, the church on several occasions. He doesn't even ask about his insurance.. just stops in to ask me a question.. always a couple months between visits and ALWAYS really good questions. This man thinks it through!
After the normal pleasantries he said "so, if this doesn't put you on the spot too much I would like to know how do you evaluate whether something is your thought or something that God is telling you?"
(Good thing I had some coffee earlier)
So.. I thought for a second.. and then we discussed it..
After a few minutes of that discussion he said he would have to think on it and that he had another question..
"How involved in everyday life, do you think God is?"
another good one that could go so many directions.. so I thought and then answered as best I could.. and we discussed it and then he thanked me for my time and said goodbye.
My point in all of this is that we can play things off as coincidence but God used this visit from "John" to remind me that He has me where he wants me for right now and that He has a purpose for me during the hours that sometimes I think I'm just making dinner for Micah or I'm just doing laundry or just working or just grocery shopping or just filling up the tank.
Do you ever stop to think that the gas attendant may not have had a single real smile all day? (I've been a gas attendant.. it can be pretty hard) When you pass a memo on to a coworker do you send it with an attitude? When your boss leaves early without any real reason do you have issues with it? (that last one is directed at ME)
Thoughts?
Dahlia: My Cello Performance
10 years ago
2 comments:
That is truly fantastic. You truly have had a ministry there in the last few years. I know that there are many days when you'd rather be anywhere else then working at this stage in life. But to look back at the ministry that Chuck started in the office and that you took over when he left is an awesome picture of how the Lord can use us on a daily basis, while at work. You have gained the clients trust and they all feel very comfortable just coming in for a chat. You've talked for years about being a counselor some day. Think back over all the jobs that you've had that the Lord has given you an amazing oppurtunity to speak Christ's love into peoples lives but also to learn more and more how to deal with different types of people. Even if you never get a hour more of formal training, this is an amazing gift that God can use through you in different youth groups, mom's get togethers :), airplane rides, with your family, and so many other places. It's funny how some of us have to truly search to see what the gifts the Lord has given are and others have it layed out so obviously If they are willing to trust the Lord...
you worked at a gas station??
i agree... before i even read your entry i wrote mine about purpose too.. how funny. its actually hard in some ways for me to go out in public.. because i want to help everyone and fix them and sit them down and have coffee hear their story, share my heart with them and tell them that all they need in life is Jesus... i get so overwhelmed with how many people need God! even though i could make some kind of a difference just in my 1 minute conversation or smile with them, but i want to do more! but every minute does count and i'd hate to be in a bad mood right before someone is deciding to commit suicide and they talk to me... that could make them or break them.. not that i am saying you would be on trial for their death, but people are always watching and observing us... especially the lost. we are always making a difference.. either good or bad and whether we are trying or not.
Post a Comment