Thursday, July 05, 2007

what bwings us togever today...

Actually.. this is referring to Saturday. 07/07/07 will be a day of celebrating the love and commitment of our friends, Tre' & Kelly. I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days and I just wanted to say: I love (emotionally) love (Biblical). I'm not always good at it, in fact, I'm often all of the things that LOVE is NOT: impatient, unkind, envious, proud, self-seeking, easily angered, tallying wrongs, bored with truth and excited about evil, and I don't ALWAYS protect, trust, hope or persevere. What is so amazing is that regardless of all of my failings - other people choose to love ME! Namely, Micah. I am constantly confused and amazed and thankful to realize that at the same time I was being unkind, he is loving me. During my anger, he is patient. While I am selfish he gives me more than I deserve. He helps me to see when I am more excited about evil than about truth. He enjoys protecting me whether it is from spiders or from my own negative thoughts. He hopes when I am losing hope.

Paul had a point when he said that marriage would distract us.. but I would argue that I have been refined more through marriage than through any other event or relationship in my life. Marriage calls you to lay aside self like nothing else. I don't have kids so I don't know, but it seems that with your child you are compelled to give. With your spouse, you make the choice, over and over and over and over and over. It comes naturally in certain things that maybe match your giftings or your personality... but otherwise it is not simple - that is why we VOW to do it. "I do" is a present tense - ACTION. Do you take this person to be your spouse? Is not, the same as: Do you feel emotionally in love with this person and will you try to be nice to them? It is: a question of whether or not you will put in the actions... regardless of your feelings.

TO: Tre' & Kelly
not that you have time to read this right now, but, I pray that as the wedding comes and goes you will continue to take action in your love. That your friends will be an encouragement and accountability to you in your relationship. I pray that when you struggle with differences or problems that you would take it to God, together and as individuals. I pray that your love would be a blessing to those around you and a testimony of God's grace and love. I pray that you would live many years loving and learning together. I ask that God would put you in jobs and living situations that you will be used and stretched beyond what you thought you could do. I pray for hearts that always stay soft and ready to grow.

We are so excited to be a part of your wedding... and to be your friends...

1 comment:

Emily said...

well said...thanks for sharing:-)